My friend Lizeth invited me to dinner to celebrate my birthday and it got me thinking about our friendship. I share tips on how we have been able to remain good friends for more than fourteen years and have open communication, even when one of us gets upset and when touchy subjects come up. Thanks for watching! If you like this video, please Like it & Subscribe to my Youtube channel to receive Continue reading
We headed downtown for lunch at the popular food trucks & then a friend’s party with amazing penthouse views of the bay, click to view my vlog, it was a fun day! Thank you for watching! If you like this video, please Like it & Subscribe to my Youtube channel to receive notifications of new videos I upload. And, please leave your comments below 🙂 If you are interested, you can watch more of my videos here YouTube: Paola Hernandez-Jiao.Thanks for your support!
When was the last time you went downtown?
– – – –
Our visit to Trier in Germany, hotel we stayed at and the town square. Alessandra tries her new swing and we decide if we like Chinese food in Continue reading
One of our first trips family trips with baby Alessandra was to Las Vegas. I was excited about the trip because I would get to spend time with my friend Rossy which lives in Las Vegas, plus a few days in Vegas is always fun (see another Las Vegas trip here)! This was Alessandra’s first flight, so we were a little nervous about how she would react. She was Continue reading
In the Hispanic culture, the Christmas holidays don’t really end until after the Three Wise Men Day on January 6. We have a party with Continue reading
Happy New Year everyone! This year, the hubby and I decided to go out with friends for dinner and dancing on New Year’s Eve. We have been married for Continue reading
The holidays are in full swing, we still have New Year’s Eve and Dia de Reyes (Three Wise Men Day) parties coming up. It is fun to indulge in our favorite meals and drinks during the holidays, but after a month of parties and dinners, all those calories can add up. An easy way to cut a few calories from Continue reading
Moms will go to far reaches to make their children happy. One of these ways is to have a child’s themed birthday party. I went to a Plants Vs Zombies birthday party, and was surprised to learn the mom had baked and decorated the birthday cake and the cupcakes. It wasn’t just any cake & cupcakes, these were special Continue reading
About a year ago, I was visiting my sister and she pulled a ready-to-eat salad from the refrigerator. She opened the container & simply poured the enclosed veggies, toppings, and dressing over it! In seconds she was Continue reading
I can’t remember the last time I went out on Cinco de Mayo. For a few years, the television stations would sponsor a large concert at the Del Mar Fairgrounds and I would work at our booth on Cinco de Mayo weekend. It was always nice to meet viewers and give a greeting on behalf of the stations on stage! After we stopped sponsoring that event, I stopped celebrating Cinco de Mayo at a large public event. This year, my friend Luisteen Gonzalez, Executive Chef, at Puesto Restaurant invited me Continue reading
Desserts are such a treat! I am of the idea that you can have your cake and eat it too! Just not everyday. Or, if you want dessert everyday, make a healthier version of your favorite delight. It is interesting how our palates can get used to healthier versions of meals, and still enjoy them! Mine Continue reading
Lately, I’ve been cooking more for my hubby and trying new recipes. We both like pizza, but of course, I rarely eat it because Continue reading
Children’s birthday parties are always fun. It is amazing to see things through children’s eyes and how much fun they have at parties, it is continuous playing, laughs, and enjoyment. It is nice to see how much effort the parents put into organizing these celebrations for their children. For the child and his parents, there is excitement leading to the party and lots of details to take care of, items to be purchased, decorations, cakes, food, drinks, prizes, and lots more. Finally, the birthday party date arrives and on the day of the party, you see the joy in the child’s face & the fun all the children have….and the other parents and guests as well. The joy in your child’s face makes all the work you put into the party , and the stress, as well as exhaustion, worth it!
Even though my hubby and I are not parents yet, we go to lots of children’s birthday parties, aka piñatas for hispanic families. In addition to my nieces and nephews birthday parties, we go to our friends children’s parties. I also accompany my sister to a few parties each year and recently went to birthday party with a Plants vs. Zombies theme (in case you are wondering, just like I was, it is a popular video game).
When we arrived, the host was finishing the decorations on the birthday cake. She baked the cake from scratch and decorated it with the Plants vs Zombies theme. Beforehand, she bought all the necessary items, including the decorations and food coloring spray. She claims she is not a good baker or cake decorator, but I disagree. This mom rocks, she is not only an amazing mom, she’s also a great cake decorator. The cake was not only beautiful, it was delicious, rich and moist! If i had not seen her decorating the cake, I would have thought it was made at a bakery.
It was so nice, that I asked her if I could post it on my blog & luckily she agreed.
What she used:
-Cake mix (marble and chocolate), items for cake: eggs, oil, water
-Unflavored whipping cream
-Food color spray (in green color)
-Marshmallows (large white)
-Candy gummy flowers (multiple colors)
-Lollipop sticks (to use as stems for gummy flowers)
-Candy in the form of small rocks
-Sugar sprinkles (in green color)
-Zombies vs Plants figurines
-Cake decorating icing bag (can be replaced with icing writing tubes)
-Large rectangular cardboard wrapped to use as base for cake (wrapped with green wax paper)
-Candles (of your choice she used gray candles to go with the theme)
Theme: Plants vs Zombies
1) Prepare the cake mix and bake the cakes – one marble sheet & one chocolate sheet, allow them to cool
2) Mix Oreo cookies in a blender to make crumbs
3) Cut the marble cake in two layers, to make two thin layers
4) On the wrapped cardboard that will be the base of the cake, build the layers, starting from the bottom with the marble cake, then a layer a chocolate cake, a layer of chocolate frosting, a layer of marshmallows, lastly add the thin layer of marble cake with the smooth surface facing up
5) Use a blender to mix the whipping cream to the right consistency, separate a small bowl of whipping cream to use to write Happy Birthday on the cake
6) Decorate the entire cake with the white whipping cream
7) Spray the entire cake with the food color spray (you should do this in a well ventilated place because the aerosol gets in the air in the room and you way want to cover the surrounding areas with paper towels or newspaper because it will get on other surfaces, but it is easy to clean off)
8) Mark the area you will decorate as the garden – make the border with the rocks and use the Oreo cookies as the dirt
9) Add the lollipop sticks to the gummy flowers, then place the flower gummy candy and a few Zombie figurines in the garden area
10) Add the remaining Zombies vs Plants figurines on the cake
11) Add a few drops of food coloring of your choice to some of the whipping cream, a few drops of black were used here to make gray whipping cream
12) Fill the cake decorating bag with the colored whipping cream, and write Happy Birthday and child’s name on the side of the cake with whipping cream
13) Place the candles on the cake
13) Add the green sugar crystals as grass on the top surface of the cake and tilt a few of the Zombies so it looks like they are crawling
Approximate time: 2 hours
She also baked some unique & delicious cupcakes, I’ll post about those later this week.
Here’s how the final masterpiece was placed on the cake table, ready for guests to sing Happy Birthday to the birthday boy & make for a perfect picture moment! Wonderful family memories!